How I Made $6K With My eBook
For those that don’t know, I’ve written an ebook a couple months ago and decided to sell it online, as an experiment. It did pretty well. My expectations were very low and it was the first time I tried selling something online, so it ended up being a big success for me.
How did it do?
Gotta say, I’m very surprised with the results. I launched it on September 9th. So far I’ve sold 168 copies for a total of $6558.36. I’m still selling a few copies each month, mostly from the nice traffic I get for free from Google.
You want to sell your own thing too?
A lot of people asked me how I did it. So here it is:
- Created a quick landing page to test the market with a form to subscribe to a newsletter
- Launched a 2 day ad campaign on AdWords to drive traffic to my landing page (spent $100)
- Checked stats to see if there was interest (3 signups for the newsletter, 56 visits, 5% CR)
- Wrote the book in textile, converted it to HTML, then PDF
- Asked for reviewers on Twitter
- Reviewed, polished, reviewed, polished
- Reviewed and polished some more
- Redesigned the whole thing in Adobe InDesign (there must be a better way, I hope! This was painful)
- Improved the landing page according to stuff I read regarding sales letters and landing pages
- Got an account on e-junkie, using a coupon code, got 120 days for free
- Plugged e-junkie to my Paypal account
- Announced it on Twitter
A few tips if you plan on selling something similar:
- Don’t sell just an ebook, package it with something else
- Test your market first
- Focus on a niche
If you have any questions, I’d be glad to answer them in the comments.
Help Me Promote My Book And Get 50% on Each Sale
As an experiment, I’ve moved from E-junkie to ClickBank to try some affiliate marketing. Simply put, affiliate marketing is: you send people to my site, they buy, you get a percentage of that sale (50% in my case). Pretty simple and works well for some products I’ve read, so hey, why not try it.
If you’d like to help me promote Create Your Own Programming Language, see the special affiliates page I’ve created will all the info you need to get started.
Or if you're into coding, join my free class on rebuilding a Ruby web server.